Whether utility expenses are paid by residents or the Property Management Company we can all do our part this summer to help save energy and resources. Decreasing our energy consumption is not only good for the planet, but great for our pocketbooks as well.
By now, we should all be familiar with commonplace energy saving tips such as: turning the thermostat up higher (for example, 78° F instead of the usual 72° F), turning the lights off when leaving the house, washing only full loads of dishes and laundry, and closing the blinds during the day. However there are other unconventional and less widely known tips that can also help renters and Property Management Companies save money. Here are a few of the best unconventional tips you can share with residents to help conserve energy during the hot summer months.
Use compact fluorescent light bulbs. According to the US Department of Energy, compact fluorescent light bulbs can save up to 75% off the average energy cost of lighting versus incandescent bulbs. This is a substantial savings considering lighting accounts for 15% of the average American family’s annual energy consumption.
Mitigate phantom power usage. Many gadgets, electronics, and appliances use phantom energy when it’s unnecessary. According to the US Department of Energy – in the average home nearly 75% of all electricity used to power electronics is consumed by products that are switched off. These energy wasters include DVD players, TVs, stereos, computers, kitchen appliances, and much more. Most important to acknowledge are chargers for cell phones and computers. If you leave your chargers plugged in all the time you should know that only 5% of the power drawn by the charger is used to charge the device and the other 95% is wasted.
Put lamps in the corners of rooms. Compared to putting lamps against flat walls, putting lamps in the corners can help spread more light. If the walls are light colored, the light will bounce off of the walls and ceiling, helping to maximize the amount of light.
Don’t overcrowd your refrigerator or leave your freezer empty. Having less in your refrigerator keeps it from having to work so hard to keep everything cool, consuming less energy. Keeping your freezer full has the opposite effect; it helps the freezer stay colder while expending less energy.
Pay your rent with RentPayment. Paying rent electronically with RentPayment cuts down on paper consumption, saves gas by limiting trips to the bank, and provides time and money savings all around.
Arrange furniture intelligently around A/C vents. By arranging your furniture so it does not block air conditioning vents you will be able to maximize the cool air flow .
Reduce cook times by thawing frozen foods. Thawing frozen foods prior to cooking will cut down cooking times, helping to expend less energy while preparing the meal.
Utilize the toaster oven and microwave. Cooking with the toaster oven and microwave can help save energy compared to cooking with a conventional stove or oven.
These few unconventional tips along with commonly known energy saving methods will help you and your renters save money and energy this summer. Spreading awareness throughout your community to staff members and renters alike will benefit all. For more tips, check out the US Department of Energy’s Energy Saving Guide.